Friday, December 5, 2008

I'm SOOOOO pregnant

Well, I have my first official "pregnancy brain" story to tell. I had several of them with both Emily and Addison, and this pregnancy will clearly not escape the continued loss of precious brain cells from my head.

In case you are wondering, "pregnancy brain" is a term that describes the total absent-mindedness, absolute brain deadness that occurs when you are pregnant. Forgetting to close car doors after going inside for HOURS (done that), eternally misplaced keys and cell phones, etc. Now these things can happen to anyone at any time, but I've noticed that MY symptoms are worsened 100 percent when I'm pregnant.

For example, a few nights ago, I curled up on the couch and enjoyed a large bowl of Orange Sherbet ice cream...a pregnancy favorite for me. After my lovely dessert, I cleaned up the kitchen, put my bowl in the sink, and Brian and I went to bed. The next morning, when I opened up the refrigerator to get out milk for the girls' breakfast, I saw out of the corner of my eye an item that clearly did not belong in the refrigerator. It did not take me long to realize that in my state of "pregnancy brain", I had put my beloved orange sherbet ice cream in the refrigerator INSTEAD of the freezer the night before.

Needless to say, my favorite ice cream was nothing but a pile of orange mush.

I mostly think that these incidences are amusing, but there is always that little fear in the back of my mind that I will NEVER recover from this...or that I might leave my children sitting in the shopping cart while I mindlessly drive away...OR that I will inadvertently pour the dog a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal and try to feed my girls dog food.

These things don't REALLY happen...right??

1 comment:

carridawn said...

Please let me know when the brain cells return - that will give me hope for my brain! One thing is for sure - that is why our kids are smarter than us . . .they took away our brain cells for their own brains. Maybe some day we'll have our smarts back :)