Wednesday, May 21, 2008

When all is quiet in the kitchen....

Let me preface this by saying yes, I know this was probably a bad idea in the first place, and yes, I do normally watch my daughter much more closely when she is playing with paints...however, sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures!

Addison has been sick since yesterday afternoon. A trip to the doctor with 103 fever confirmed a left ear infection and viral pharyngitis. So needless to say, she has been absolutely MISERABLE with a sore throat, fever, ear ache, you get the picture. So today, I knew I would be having to spend most of my time with Addison, who didn't want me to put her down most of the morning.


You know how it is when you're sick...you just want mom to hold you for a while!


Anyway, I decided to give Emily some lee-way (my first mistake) and let her play with finger paints at the kitchen table with very little supervision so that I could focus on making Addison comfortable. We had fun cutting out shapes from kitchen sponges to use in the paints. I very carefully placed newspaper down and then cut open a paper bag so that Emily could use the paints on that. I decided to take off Emily's shirt...a very smart decision on my part...JUST IN CASE she accidentally :) got any on herself. After ensuring that she understood the ground rules:
1. do not eat the paint
2. the paint does not belong on the table
3. the paint does not belong in our hair
4. the paint does not belong on our bodies
5. the paint does not belong ANYWHERE else but the paper
I went into another room to put Addison down for a nap.
Apparently, I should have explained rules 1 through 5 more clearly.

"Caught in the act"
"What was rule number 3 again?"
"Look at me mom!!"
Needless to say, it was hilarious, she looks like a very miniature version of The Incredible Hulk, or Hulkette in this case. And oh yes, this was ALL in her hair as well. Luckily, mom was smart enough to choose the finger paints, which are easily washable, instead of any other kind (God bless you Crayola!!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is why I was so afraid of scissors and glue during the first few years of my kids' life. You're a brave woman - good for you!

By the way, is your bathtub still green?

~Teresa

carridawn said...

That totally made my day!! Y'all had me laughing so hard! She is so creative - Andrew loved the color, green is his favorite :)
Wish we could be there to join in!
Thanks for the cutest post - so enjoyed it!
Hope all is well for y'all!
lots of love!