Thursday, March 6, 2008

Oh, forgot about this

By the way, I feel like I should definitely let you all know about this one. I must admit, I was a little freaked out when Emily first did this, but now, I'm finding comfort in it. Maybe some of you can relate...

Probably a week ago, Emily and I were snuggling in her bed after she woke up from her afternoon nap...this is a normal routine which I absolutely cherish EVERY MOMENT of! She sits up in bed, nonchalantly points to the corner of her bedroom where a dresser and lamp sit, and states matter of factly:

"Mommy, do you see the angel in the corner of my bedroom?"

Mommy's hair stands up on the back of her neck as she casually says:

"Well, honey, I don't see that, but is that what you see?"

"Yes, mommy, there is an angel in the corner of my room"

"What is the angel's name, honey?"

"Her name is Rumor" (sometimes the name is Cuddly, and sometimes it's a name I don't understand)

On a DAILY basis since then, Emily routinely points to the same corner when we're in her room and asks if I can see the angel. Now I tell her that I do see the angel, not because I REALLY do, but because I believe that there IS a guardian angel there that only she can see, and I don't want to take something that special away...I do believe God reveals Himself in ways that adults just aren't willing to or can't see, and children don't have that "screen" over their eyes that most of the rest of us do.

I think this is really cool now, and I wonder sometimes who this guardian angel might be. Is it my grandma or grandpa Underwood, or my grandpa Johnson? Is it someone from Brian's family? Is it a different one each time?

So, if that didn't make the hairs on your neck stand up (in a good way), maybe this will...

Just tonight, when I was putting Emily to bed, we have another conversation about the angel:

"Mommy, do you see the angel?"

"Yes, honey, I see her" (we have settled on this angel being a "she" most of the time)

"Emily, what is the angel wearing?"

"She's wearing purple"

"Oh...does the angel talk to you?"

"Yes"

"What does she tell you?"

"She's going to watch me fall asleep...I don't have to be scared"

...so, if that's not a guardian angel, I don't know what is. Sweet dreams Emily!!

1 comment:

The Pruetz Family said...

Yeah! I'm so glad you're back! I've missed your posts!

The story of the angel is awesome. I wish we were all able to see our guardian angels, but I think that only the most special of us are granted that blessing. It's no secret that Emily is a very special girl!

I owe you a phone call from like six weeks ago. I might be good at posting, but I'm terrible at picking up the phone. :)