Friday, January 28, 2011

Hello again

Well, with the holidays just behind us...or I guess a month behind us, I wanted to quickly send out some new pics of the family and share an amusing Emily story.

I'm pretty sure there are other equally amusing stories about Addison and Aaron, but since this one happened just last weekend, and absolutely nothing funny at all happened this week, it's all I can remember right now.

Unfortunately, the long term memory capacity of my brain only extends to approximately 7-8 days past the event that I am trying to remember.

...in fact, that is on a good day. And I'm finding that as my age increases, the number of days I tend to remember specific events decreases. According to my incredibly precise calculations, for each year that goes by, I lose 1 day of long term memory. So by my estimation, by the time I reach the age of 41, on any given day, I really shouldn't be held responsible for anything that happened the day before...since I won't remember anything about it anyway. :)

What was I talking about again?

Oh, yes. Emily.

So, as most of you may remember, last Monday was Martin Luther King day. The kids had the day off from school, so I thought it would be fun for them to learn a bit about Martin Luther King and listen to some of his famous speech. We did a coloring activity, read a story about his life, and then found some of "I have a dream" on the internet. Emily was fascinated by his speech, and sat transfixed while we watched him speak.

So later on in the day, we all went to Lifetime fitness, where Emily, Addison, and Aaron play in the child center with tons of other kids while I work out. When we arrived, Emily informed me that she was planning on giving a speech about Martin Luther King to the kids in the child center. Since I was unaware that my 5 1/2 year old daughter had planned a speaking engagement at our fitness center, I was naturally curious...and a little nervous... about the content of this "speech".

Oh, but don't worry... when I asked what she was planning on saying, she very confidently reassured me and said,

"Um, I don't know mommy, I'll figure it out"

Wing it. That's my girl.

Now I'm REALLY nervous. And although I was secretly a little proud that Dr. King's speech had apparently made such an impact on her, I had disturbing visions the whole time I was working out. I kept waiting for the child center to announce overhead that Emily had been arrested for organizing an angry toddler uprising in the child center. "We should not be made to stay here while our parents are out having all the fun!!! Join me and REVOLT, tiny tots!!!"

But then I remembered that Martin Luther King's message was one of peace. So then I worried about Emily staging a peaceful hunger strike of some kind in the child center, or a sit in...or handcuffing herself to the playgym! The possibilities were endless...

Luckily, no arrests were made, and when I went to pick the kids up, I was DYING to find out what happened. Emily, Addison, and Aaron trotted happily out of the child center with me. When I asked Emily how her "speech" went, she informed me that "Unfortunately, I had to cancel my speech, mommy".

Why? I asked.

"Well *sigh*, no one wanted to hear about Dr. Martin Luther King, so I had to cancel it".

She seemed really upset by it, as would anyone whose speech had been cancelled due to lack of interest, right?

...I'm thinking we will wait a while before we try to study someone like, say, Che Guevara? What do you think?

Here are a few pics of the kids from Christmas (all taken with the AWESOME camera my husband got me!!!):

Sweet Addison!

The whole gang

Me and my boy!


Emily!

Climbing around

This was taken after a particularly messy evening at the dinner table...nice do....I believe it was a combination of strawberry yogurt, ketchup and fish sticks. Yum.



1 comment:

j2 said...

Um, Aaron? Not a baby anymore. When did that happen?